Christmas Down Under
We’re here in Australia! The last leg of our holiday trip. Dan hasn’t been able to see his family for Christmas for years so this is a great opportunity for us. But as an American I feel, without meaning to, that my Christmas is over.
Then we went to NYC where Dan’s Uncle and family created the perfect Christmas experience for us – between the perfectly decorated house, the homemade eggnog, the Christmas Dinner at home and out, letting us help trip their live tree, it was a storybook Christmas like I haven’t had since childhood!
Plus we got to be in the city, looking at the Macy’s windows, the Rockefeller Centre tree, et al.
And now we’re just arrived in Australia and…it’s summer! I adore the warm weather so no complaints here, but I must admit that I feel like Christmas is long over and yet it hasn’t happened yet! D and I have to hurry and get our Christmas shopping done this week and we’ll get to celebrate with his whole family and see his friends! They’re my friends now too, whether they like it or not 🙂
Soooo to help put me in the holiday mood I’m going to jump on this holiday survey bandwagon. And maybe make some Christmas cookies this week 🙂 I need them…
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate. I love it, though I haven’t had much of it this year. I like egg nog too, but not as much as I like the idea of egg nog. I almost always turn it down when it’s offered. I tried a keurig eggnog cream coffee which was amazing! But, I’d love a hot chocolate and I’ll always choose it over egg nog.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Growing up Santa set gifts under the tree and in our stockings, Mom and Dad wrapped gifts. Now I must have been pretty naughty because Santa hasn’t left me anything for a few years…
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I have to admit that I prefer just white lights on everything, the house the tree. I like simple. But if you’re going to go multi-colored, just go multi-colored, no mixing with white or different types. I like to keep it classy 😉
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes, I do. I love mistletoe. Mostly because I love kissing.
5. When do you hang your decorations up? When I’m at a home of somesort and I’m decorating, the day after Thanksgiving it’s a must. That is always the start of my Christmas season in my heart and in my home. Even when I’m not home, like this year, I won’t get peppermint lattes or listen to Christmas music until the day after T-day and then it’s on until NYE
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Don’t hate me but I really don’t love holiday food. I love Thanksgiving for the fun and warmth of the holiday and the idea of pumpkin pie and the time spent in the kitchen. But I don’t really like meat (so I’m not excited about Turkey, Ham, or even our family’s lasagne). I love salads, veggies and breads so maybe the homebaked breads, garlic breads, rolls? Yeah I’m weird. I like eating off the fancy plates though!
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? We spent a Christmas with my grandparents in Florida when I was about 9 years old. All I wanted was a train set. We were a little worried Santa wouldn’t know how to get to us especially since my gparents didn’t have a fireplace. So my grandfather made a fake fireplace and we hung our stockings up on it. I wish I had a picture to put here, it was the most amazing, sturdy, set piece ever – he could have built sets for the Metropolitan Opera! it was an amazing Christmas, Santa came, brought me a train set that we set up (so cool) and we got to swim ON CHRISTMAS DAY.
8. What is on your Christmas Wishlist? I already know I got what I wanted – Membership to Dan (and MY!) AFL team for the year, Essendon. He paid for it a couple months ago, it just came in the mail and I think he’ll put a bow on it and set it under the tree. But if y’all want to send me gifts or if Santa comes I wouldn’t turn down a pair of boots (doc martens?), some aviators, and iTunes gift cards…and a job.
9. Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve? We never did growing up, but last year Dan and I opened on present on Christmas Eve. That was fun 🙂 not sure what we’ll do when we have our own Christmases.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Depends on the year. One year I had a pink tree with just white lights and a star (single girl tree), my favorite year I had white lights, and I cut up a red bandana to make mini bows and hung small silver stars on the tree. It was perfect! I’m a simple gal.
11. Snow? Love it or dread it? i want to love it because I LOVE it but I also dread it because I get sick so easily in the cold and almost always when it snows.
12. Real tree or fake tree? Real! hands down!
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Dan got me a beautiful angel wing necklace from Thomas Sabo. It was an absolute surprise and it was my favorite gift ever. Not only is it so perfectly me, it came to represent us. I got him a manly version for Valentines Day. I wear mine every day and it reminds me I’m his. It reminded me of the Jack Johnson song “Angel”.
14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you? celebrating it. I’m not always with my family, often I’m working, or overseas. But I have to celebrate it – do traditional things, whatever works for where I am, listen to the songs and on Christmas Eve and Christmas day I spend it with someone, share a meal with someone. I don’t know if that makes sense but the details of Christmas (and life in general) always change for me, sometimes I can’t buy a tree, like this year, or spend it with loved ones or even bake cookies. But I celebrate the whole season on way or another. It’s important to me.
15. What is your favorite Holiday dessert? Frosted, decorated sugar cookies 🙂 love them, love making them and eating them as we make them. and M&M’s. I know it’s weird, I never really eat them except on Christmas Day.
16. What is your favorite tradition? Making aforementioned Christmas cookies. I love it decorating them with my sister especially. Man I miss her…
17. What tops your tree? A star. I love stars 🙂 and I’m not religous
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Can I have both? I love shopping for and giving gifts, LOVE IT!! AAANND I love getting gifts from my friends and family. It’s fun to open gifts and feel loved.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I know I just said I’m not religious but my favorite song is O Holy Night. I grew up Catholic and the song is always beautiful, warm and poignant. That and also “Winter Song” by Sara Bareilles. It’s haunting and I adore it. It’s on The Hotel Café Press Presents Winter Songs Albums.
20. Candy canes, yuck or yum? I love candy canes!!
21. Favorite Christmas Movie? It’s a Wonderful Life and the old Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim
22. What do you leave for Santa? Oreos or the cookies I decorated and milk…
23. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition? as a family we used to and I will again. But for now my only Christmas morning tradition is to kiss Dan and tell him he’s my Christmas.
24. Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall? I should shop online since I’m always far away but I always shop at the mall. I’m a kinetic person, if I didn’t touch it I don’t remember I did it.
25. Christmas letter or Christmas card? I facebook 🙂 for now…